Timeline of the Weimar Republic
- The number of unemployed persons rises to over 4.7 million
- Release of Robert Musil’s novel “The Man Without Qualities”
- Première of Carl Zuckmayer’s play “The Captain of Köpenick”
- The Reich government seeks the establishment of a German-Austrian customs union
- Thuringian Ministers Frick and Marschler are forced to resign
- Publication of Ernst Jünger’s book “Storm of Steel”
- Austrian bank Credit-Anstalt declares bankruptcy
- Première of the film “M - A city looks for a murderer” by Fritz Lang
- The IOC awards the 1936 summer games to Germany
- The Reichsbank is forced to use its gold and foreign currency reserves
- American President Hoover proposes a moratorium on international payment obligations
- The Hoover Moratorium is officially announced
- The collapse of the Darmstädter and National Bank triggers the banking crisis in Germany
- The referendum to overthrow the Prussian government initiated by the “Stahlhelm” fails
- Manfred von Ardenne gives the world’s first public demonstration of fully electronic television.
- Der Internationale Gerichtshof entscheidet sich knapp gegen die deutsch-österreichische Zollunion
- Ferdinand Porsche und Fritz Neumeyer vereinbaren den Bau des "Volkswagens"
- At Brüning’s request, Hindenburg enacts the “Third Decree for Securing the Economy and Finances and for the Purpose of Political Riot Control”
- Brüning cabinet is restructured
- The “Stahlhelm”, the DNVP and the NSDAP form the “Harzburg Front” alliance.
- Première of the sound film “The Congress Dances”
- Première of the play “Tales from the Vienna Woods” by Ödön von Horváth
- Première of the oratorio “Das Unaufhörliche” by Paul Hindemith
- The “Fourth Decree for Securing the Economy and Finances and for the Purpose of Riot Control” enters into force
- Carl Bosch, Otto Warburg and Friedrich Bergius receive Nobel Prizes
- Formation of the “Iron Front” organization to counterbalance the “Harzburg Front”"